Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 10, 2005

Easy to fool... but not easy





So noone has ever accused me of making anything easy. Yesterday morning I was very frusterated because the dog refuses to go potty outside in the rain and therefore will only use the hardwood floor as his own personal bathroom. I was wondering how much my parents would freak when he used their rug as a bathroom. So it dawned on me that my parents and sister could just come to my house for the birthday party, instead. Afterall, everyone who was celebrating a birthday this month live in the town where I live, anyway. I offered to make a cake and all but stomped my feet when my mother said it was too late to change the location. Little did I know!

Let me just start out by giving some advice to other mothers-to-be:
#1. Got cute maternity clothes? Wear them. Even if it's raining. Even if you're tired. Even if it's cold out. Don't opt for the "is that a Hefty bag that you're wearing" all black sweatsuit that would fit a pregnant elephant. ALWAYS WEAR THE MATERNITY CLOTHES WHEN LEAVING THE HOUSE!
#2. Always wear a bra. Even if your ginormous breasts no longer fit into your sister's double D hand-me-downs and the seams are causing a ginormous bruise underneath the 14 pound weight that is your right breast. Just do it. Just put it on and endure the pain. And when you arrive at the "family birthday party" and you know with absolute certainty that you will not be greeted by 30 of your friends, then take it off.
#3. If you're having a baby girl, DON'T SHOP FOR CLOTHES BEFORE YOUR SHOWER. Buy diapers instead. I didn't get any diapers - although I did get about 4,000 of the cutest baby girl outfits i've ever seen.
#4. Bring a big car. My sister's new 1800 sq. foot Yukon and my husband's tiny Ion could barely do the trick. When I asked my husband if there was room in the car for me, I was told that there was certainly room for Manny, me he wasn't sure (he was probably looking at my Hefty bag outfit and assuming I'd actually take up much more room than I actually did).
#5. Don't just assume that since your due date is light years away and noone has shopped off your registry that you can't be having a shower anytime soon. You can.

Wow. Everyone insisted that I must've known. Wha? Did you SEE what I was wearing? Trust me... I didn't know. Shock was the understatement of the century. It was so exciting... and I loved everything (even though the first hour that I was there was a total fog!). So many of the people I love were able to make it which made it even better. Everyone was SOOOO generous. I'll have to take pictures of some of my favorites (how will I choose?!) to post later. Some thank-yous: (even though only like 2 people that I actually know in real life read this anyway) :)
  • Thanks to everyone who helped put it all together! Darcy bought all of the adorable decorations, tons of people helped out to making food, Michelle bought the huge yummy cake, my mom and sister decorated mom's house that morning and tons of people helped keep it a secret (esp. my mother in law who had to spend the evening before with me without spilling!).
  • Thanks to all of you who drove far-far-away (in the rain) to make my day extra special.
  • Thanks for everyone's generosity and all of the sweet, adorable things that will welcome Rylee home after the holidays. Even those who couldn't make it were very generous and thoughtful!

10 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Donna said...

How fun. yeah I would have been annoyed that I didn't look all spify either! Oh well sounds like you still had tons of fun. Surprise!!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh how great. I had to go to a "birthday Party" at my moms um no it was my bridal shower. Too bad I didnt know about your donts before I went. didnt shower and had baby puke all over me from spending the day at the portrait studio with my best friends baby.

Oh and to top it offit was a thousand degrees out and chris brought me a winter outfit to wear. I am so pissed still no one told me to shower that morning. I figured I showered the night before and I was just going to the portrait studio before I woudl shower and go to the birthday...uh oh no.

Have a great day and too exciting. Cant wait to see all the pictures of Rylees goodies.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Bek said...

yeah!! surprise baby shower - how fun!!!!! can't wait to see more pics - i like the lil card u got from a small friend it looks like....

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Humor Girl said...

Aww!! Happy babyshower! hehe

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy you were suprised!! I'm sorry you didn't get anything from your registry :o( Your family and friends will help you guys out though!!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Leesa said...

How fun...looks like a great party:)

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

this is great! the same thing happened to me for my bridal shower. The bridal shower was the only thing representing a shower that day. Ugh.

I think you looked great anyway. Black is always slimming. Glad you had a great time.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was one of the bad people who didn't use the registry. It's always so tempting to go with clothes, there so much more fun to buy.

It was great to see you!!!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Jaime said...

Kate & Kristen - sounds like our shower experiences were really similar! (I wasn't showered for my bridal shower, either! - I really do shower, I swear!) :)
Bek - yeah, that's from my niece, Camryn. Cute, huh?
Amy - Lol... awww... you're so sweet. :)
Sonya - it's WAY too temping to buy baby girl clothes - who can blame you?? :)

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for more info on mason jar daisy centerpiece wedding reception and came across this site.Aloha, Ryan mason jar daisy centerpiece wedding reception

 

Post a Comment

<< Home